News & Press


Archive for November, 2010

November 23rd, 2010

New English Language Requirements for Partners

From 29/11/2010, all those seeking to come and live in the UK as the spouse of a British Citizen or settled person must demonstrate that they have a basic understanding of English language.

This will not apply to the spouse or partner of the following categories;  Tier 1 migrant, Tier 2 visa migrant, Student, Visitor, Refugees applying on the basis of family reunion, Dependent children, EEA national, Member of the armed forces remain

All applications made before 29/11/2010 will be considered in line with the relevant policies at the time of application.

To meet the new English language requirement the applicant must;

1.      pass an recognized test at a minimum level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), at an approved provider by the UK Border Agency, OR

2.      be a national of a majority English speaking country, OR

3.      have an academic qualification equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in the UK which was taught in English (must be verified).