As of 6th April 2012, a number of changes have been made to the Immigration rules.
Below is a summary of some of the changes that have been made.
Migrants under the points based system will be affected by the following changes:
Tier 1 – High-value Migrants
- Tier 1 (Post-study work) route is now closed
- Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) has been introduced as an alternative route for those under the Tier 4 category
Tier 2 – Skilled workers
- The total amount of temporary granted leave will be limited to 6 years (for those who applied after 6th April 2011)
- In April 2016, a new minimum pay requirement of £35,000 will be introduced for Tier2 general and sportsperson migrants who wish to settle in the UK.
- New post-study work arrangements for graduates switching into Tier 2.
Tier 4 – students
- Limits introduced on the time that can be spent studying at degree level
- New provisions introduced for graduates who wish to work in the UK after their studies.
In addition, as of 6th April, new fees have been introduced for Tier 4 and Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme). In June 2012, further fees will be increased for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Temporary workers under Tier 5.
These changes to the Immigration rules highlight the importance of seeking professional advice at an early stage of the application process. If you are looking for someone to manage your case please do not hesitate to call us on 01793 836 010.